Thursday, July 7, 2011

Nuts for Coconuts

Since Chris and Holly love coconut sorbet I decided it would be a good idea to give them some fresh coconut so I bought one at the local health food store.  Little did I know how difficult it would be to crack it open.

Intact coconut

Barbara (Chris' grandma) said that Poppy (Chris' late grandpa) used to use a nail and a hammer to open them, so I improvised and got a hammer and a screwdriver out.  I hammered a hole in the coconut but nothing happened.  I could hear a lot of water/juice splashing around so I stuck a straw in the hole and drank it.  It was actually very good.  But I still had to crack the coconut so I hammered the screwdriver into a few more spots until it cracked and after that I was able to break it in half.


Making significant progress........


I then managed to break off some smaller pieces, but Chris and Holly didn't seem to know what to do with them, so I took a grapefruit spoon and scraped off coconut shavings for them.  Chris loved it, but Holly rejected it (odd since he'll eat almost anything) and said "apple" which meant he wanted some apple. (He's so smart!) Apparently Barbara had been feeding him apple earlier.  So, while Chris enjoyed fresh coconut Holly munched on an apple slice. 

A coconut mustache on Chris' lower beak


Holly at the porch food station finishing his apple slice

When I put the boys back into their cages in the evening so they could eat dinner, I sprinkled some shaved coconut on their fresh food.


Chris' fruit and veggie bowl topped off with coconut shavings


There is still half a coconut left, so more for Chris to enjoy tomorrow and maybe Holly will warm up to it.




No comments:

Post a Comment