Monday, March 15, 2010

Chatter Box

When Chris comes home from anywhere:  boarding, Barbara's, etc, he talks a blue streak.  He is loquacious by nature, but I guess the stimulation of a 'new' environment encourages him to talk about who and what he's seen and seems to inspire him to say new things in general.  The other night when Chris and Holly got home from boarding Chris wanted a bath with his spray bottle.  While I was getting that ready I asked him if he had had fun at Dr. L's house and he answered "I don't know."  I know he has fun at Dr. L's as evidenced by the fact that he does not want to leave when I go to pick him up, but his answer, and his tone, was such a teenage boy answer it made me laugh.  During bath time he also asked me "where's the dog?" which I believe was a reference to Dr.L's dog, MacKenzie.  I think Chris would like her to be part of his flock over here.  (Me, too!)

After Chris had his spritzing I made him and Holly a snack.  They got melted cheese on a bagel (birds are supposedly lactose intolerant, but Chris and Holly love cheese, so their first veterinarian said a tiny bit for a treat is okay.  Bread is also not something birds should eat regularly because it contains yeast and can build up into a systemic yeast infection if they consume too much, but once in a while a piece is okay.)   I gave Chris his snack and then went across the room to give Holly his snack and I heard Chris' bagel hit the floor.  Then I heard a sweet little cockatoo voice say "where did it go?"  He had his foot up so it looked like he was shrugging.  Hilarious!  He had never said that before and I realized it's what I say to him when he drops something and I can't see it.  He's so smart it's scary.  When I went over to help him retrieve the bagel I was commanded to "pick it up" which I have heard before (as the slave girl who lives here and exists to serve him why wouldn't I hear that on a regular basis?). 


Chris eating his bagel treat

After snack, Chris flew onto my shoulder and hitched a ride over to the fridge where he grabbed a pen.  Parrots love to play with pens, which is not a good idea if there is an ink cartridge inside.  So I had to confiscate the pen pretty quickly, but not before he took it back to his jungle gym.


Pen snatcher


The showing off of new verbal skills continued the following day:  I was having a Vitamin Water and Chris was with me in the kitchen and said "I want some soda."  I almost fainted!  First, I couldn't believe what he had just said, and second since I don't really drink soda so I don't say that word around him.  After sharing a taste of my Vitamin Water with Chris and Holly (they love sugar) I did a little sleuthing and found out that Dr. L drinks soda at home when Chris is sitting on his lap.  I guess they've talked about soda and Chris naturally wanted some (parrots always want what you're eating).  He is so smart it kills me. 

P.S. Lest anyone think Chris and Holly are loaded up with junk food--they're not!  In fact, 95% of their diet consists of fruit, vegetables, specially formulated parrot food pellets, and seed mix. (See evidence below.) It's just that they eat their special treats when they are out of their cages and flying around, so it makes for better photos and more entertaining conversation.

Holly eating a very nutritious peach

1 comment: